Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Advocate

I recently began volunteering with Child Advocates, an organization located in Indianapolis (called CASA nationwide) that was created to represent and protect the best interest of children who are involved in legal proceedings.

I am a CASA, or Court Appointed Special Advocate.  I am assigned to cases of children who experienced life-threatening abuse or neglect and have been placed in protective custody, such as with a relative or in a foster home.  I contact caseworkers, talk with biological parents, visit foster homes, make sure they are receiving necessary medical care, look out for educational interests and make recommendations in court about where the child should ultimately end up.  I am one of few "constants" in these children's lives.

Simply put, I am there to ensure that the basic needs of the child are met.

I really love what Romans 8 has to say about our very own Advocate.

Verse 26 And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness.  We don't know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through groans that cannot be expressed in words.  27 And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God's will for us.  28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose for them.  29 For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

I can declare with full confidence that my basic needs will be met by a God who is guided by the Holy Spirit.  Our Father KNOWS.  He HEARS.  And He DRAWS CLOSE.

John 5:17 says, "My Father is ALWAYS working and so am I."

He doesn't take a break.  He will not leave, forsake, abandon, reject or take away his Spirit from me.

He is CONSTANT.  He is STEADY.  He is NEAR.
                                         He is PROVIDER.  He is HEALER.  He is TEACHER.

No comments:

Post a Comment