Monday, May 14, 2012

on mother's day...

I wanted to celebrate Mother's Day this year.  No, I mean, I wanted to be celebrated as a Mother this year.

But instead...I eavesdropped.
(On a non-related note, my sisters could tell you stories of my professional eavesdropping they have observed.  If you'd like a good laugh, talk to them.)


Yes, you read correctly.  Eavesdropping vs. Mother's Day.

My husband, Blake, and I took road trip this past weekend to South Carolina to visit some of our very dear friends.  It was a great trip, by the way.

We had dinner Saturday night at a pizza place and were seated outside.  Soon after we got our food, I noticed a nearby table where a family of five was sitting.  It was a couple and their three, tween-age boys.  As I took a bite of my delicious, flatbread pizza, I mentioned, quietly observing, "Wow, three boys!  Wouldn't that be something?!"

I turned my attention back to the conversation at hand.  We talked, laughed and then quieted, as to focus on our grub.

A few minutes later, the same table caught my eye.  The father and sons raised their glasses of Diet Coke, sweet tea or Mountain Dew for a toast.  I didn't hear how the toast was initiated, but my heart melted when I heard what came out of their "cheers!"

Each of the three tweens were completely engrossed in the toast, as the father said, "To the BEST Mom in the world!"  The boys shook their heads in agreement, and the family toasted their mother and wife.

When I heard this, I looked at my girlfriend, who was sitting beside me and had been observing the same scene, unbeknownst to me.  We both burst into tears, quickly wiped them away with our napkins and giggled at each other for being so sentimental to a stranger's celebration.

I wondered why my reaction was so emotional.  But I quickly realized how much I want to be celebrated as a Mother.  I desire and long to be celebrated as a Mother.  But more than that, I long to raise children that love the Lord and love others well.

Jesus met me in that moment and reminded me that I AM celebrated.  Mother or not, I celebrate the woman you are.  I celebrates the woman that you are becoming.  Lean into me.  Let me take you to places where I can change who you are.  Let me write stories in your life that will create you into a better character than you would be if it was easy.

I AM celebrated.  And God is the same God regardless of who I am.  He is creating, molding, pruning and growing me into who he wants me to be, so that I might reveal His glory in all that I do...Mother or not.

To those of you who are Mother's...Happy Mother's Day, a couple days late.  May you continue to grow more into the woman, wife, daughter, sister, MOTHER, that God has created you to be.  Love well and live passionately.

No comments:

Post a Comment